Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Star Trek gadgets no longer in the future

I've been a fan of Star Trek since the 60's when I used to watch the first episodes with my dad. I have always been fascinated with the future like gadgets. Well now that I'm living "in the future" most of the gadgets of Star Trek are no longer fantasy, but reality.

Most of us carry around cell phones - my Kyocera 7135 smartphone (flip phone) is even programmed with the sounds of a communicater which is real cool. Our cell phones can now access the Internet, transfer messages, and we can even watch video.

We are living in the space age with thousands of satellites, an International Space Station (kind of like the international crew of the Enterprise), and robot trips to Mars and other space exploration.

Well now we can even enjoy communication similar to the crew of the Enterprise 1701-D captained by Jean-Luc Picard. Those cool communicators that the crew wore on their chest are now available for companies, hospitals, etc.

Vocera makes a hands free device that can be worn around the neck or fastened to a shirt or jacket that allows communication over a Wi-Fi wireless network. These can be voice-activated or you can push to talk, just like in Star Trek!

Check these links out!

http://www.vocera.com/products/products.shtm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20060102/tc_infoworld/73476

This is very cool!
... almost as cool as my FRS/GMRS Radio Watch... and my flip phone that makes Star Trek sounds...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home